Channel Letters Signs are one of the most popular sign types when it comes to building signs and storefront signs. As your local sign company in Oakland, we are going to explain everything you need to know about Channel Letters Signs in this article. You’ll learn important points of consideration before purchasing this kind of sign. We’ll answer your questions from what is a Channel Letters Sign? To what are the benefits? How are they made? And what are the different types of Channel Letters Signs?
What is a Channel Letters Sign?
Let’s start with the basics and find out what they are. A Channel Letter Sign is a three-dimensional fabricated sign, shaped into individual letters, numbers or logo’s. They can be fabricated out of plastic or aluminum, whereas aluminum is the most common in order to comply with local city codes in Oakland and the East Bay region. Most signs have LED modules to illuminate at night, however they are also available without illumination.
What are the benefits of Channel Letters?
Now that we know what a Channel Letter is, let’s look at it’s benefits. We have listed the main benefits of this type of business sign, considering a sign with illumination. We are confident that these benefits will help you to understand why they are so popular.
- Extra visibility during the day AND night
- Creating brand awareness due to unlimited options in terms of design
- Cost effectiveness as it’s a one time investment that is extremely durable
- Establishing professionalism and authority of your business
How are Channel Letters Signs made?
Without getting too technical we would like to give you a quick overview of the different elements that channel letters are made from, explaining you how they are made.
- Face: an acrylic face, which is routed into the shape of the letter, number of logo. Acrylic faces are available in standard colors, as well as custom colors.
- Trim Cap: Holding the face and the body of the letter together, molded around the edges of the face.
- Returns: these are the sides of the letter, which are fabricated out of aluminum and available in different depths.
- Back: the back of the channel letter is similar to the face of the letter, routed into the shape of the letter, number or logo. The back is fabricated out of aluminum or clear acrylic (for a halo effect).
- Light Source: an illuminated letter has a light source inside the letters which are LED modules.
What types are available?
At Sequoia Signs & Graphics we offer a wide range of sign options to make you stand out. Below is a short description of the different types of Channel Letters Signs available.
– Front Lit or Standard: The most common type of channel letters, using LED’s to illuminate the front face of the sign.
– Back Lit or Reverse Lit: Illumination from the back of the letter, creating a halo effect.
– Front & Back Lit: Illuminates both the front and the back of the channel letter.
– Open Face: Open at the front, often used with bulb lighting as part of the design effect.
We hope to have answered all your questions about Channel Letters Signs! However do not hesitate to contact us for any other questions or to start your next sign project.